Classic Sugar Cookies

Tuesday, February 14, 2017


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!! I've been away from the blog for far to long, unintentionally might I add but I still feel guilty about it. Lately I've been finding it hard to find the time to update the site. Combine a busy schedule with day light savings and boom instant neglect. But I'm tired of hitting you guys with excuse after excuse, instead I'm going to make sure that whatever I am able to publish is of the utmost best quality and that it is something that I am proud to share. Much like today's recipe post.

I almost wasn't going to publish this recipe since its so simple, but it's in my basic nature to bake and share; so that is what I am here to do. I made a variation of these cookies for Christmas this past year, following this recipe here, and I liked them so much that I had to put my own spin on them and see how they'd whole-up if I were to cut them into shapes. So read on if you'd like to learn how to make these classic sugar cookies.


I  N  G  R  E  D  I  E  N  T  S

2/3 CUPS UNSALTED BUTTER
2/3 CUPS SUGAR
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1/4 CUP CORNSTARCH
1 1/3 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR



D  I  R  E  C  T  I  O  N  S

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour and cornstarch together and set aside. Next in a larger mixing bowl, with the help of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Then gradually add the flour and cornstarch mixture until the dough begins to crumble. If you find that your mixture is too dry or too wet feel free to add in a tablespoon of milk or flour. Once the consistency of your dough resembles wet sand, using your hands form the dough into two medium sized balls.

On a clean dry surface lightly dusted with flour roll your dough out with the help of a rolling pin. When your dough reaches approximately half an inch thick you may begin to cut out your desired shapes, placing them each an inch apart on a parchment lined baking tray. Repeat this step as much as necessary until you have used up all of your cookies dough.

In a 375°F oven bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges become nice and golden. Allow them to cool for for 2 minutes on the baking tray before transferring them to a wire rack. Allow them cool completely before decorating.

For these cookies I used a really simple vanilla icing recipe and topped them with some heart shaped sprinkles. To achieve this icing at home combine 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, 1 cup of confectioners sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of milk. Unfortunately I was all out of food colouring but if you'd like you can go ahead and tint your icing any colour you want. Let me know if you'd like me to do a post all about my go to frosting and icing recipes.



And there you have it my recipe for classic sugar cookies. I know many people associate sugar cookies with the Holidays, I know I do, but they really are the perfect treat for any holiday or special occasions. Anyway let me know what you think of today's post and once again I am sorry that things have grown so quite here on the blog. I really trying guys.

No comments :

Post a Comment